August 4, 2015

Mission #63, Day 2--Saddle Oxfords

I used to wear my saddle oxfords a lot more than I do now and I don't know why that is.  I do know that they are comfortable and really cute and (which could be a positive or negative depending on how you view things) a real conversation piece.

Every time I wear them older people will comment on how they used to have a pair like them and ask me how on earth I was able to get a pair.  In truth, I stumbled upon them one day in Payless.  I wish I had a more heroic response for them, but that's how it went down.  #lame

I'm not sure if you are aware, but saddle shoes have a long history.  They came about in the 1910's and 1920's and started, of all things, as a golf shoe for men.  Women became fans of them and although they were edited throughout the decades with fabric and color, they remained in style for various reasons.

Did you know that in the 1950's women used to wear these around the house for their comfort and then change into heels when their husbands would come home from work?  Crazy to think about isn't it?

Sometimes I am convinced that I was meant to live in the 50's/60's era.  I love the fashion and I love the whole just laid back vibe it seemed to have.  Movies like Sandlot and Back to the Future and various others set in that timeframe always intrigue and interest me.

Up in Wheatland, where my Grandpa lives, they used to have an actual Soda Fountain where you could order Black Cows and malts that would come in that big silver tin.  They had retro barstools and a jukebox and hula hoops.

It closed long ago, but I feel like it should be revived.  In fact . . . no one take that idea.  My new goal in life is to open up a Soda Fountain and wear saddle shoes for work.

Saddle Oxfords-Paylesss
Black and White Chevron Striped Dress-thrifted
Belt-Kohl's
Leopard Accented Cloche Hat-Target
Polka Dot Scarf-vintage
Earrings-gifted
Watch-gifted from Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs